Wednesday, January 26, 2011

HACKED !

One fine day, back in June 2010, when i was surfing net, don't know which notion triggered me and i started googling the "ways to hack an account".
It appeared to me quite fun thing, and i was so engrossed in reading all the top results Google was showing me.
In this quest of Google how to hack, i didn't notice that i was signed in from my Google account. Later on when i was done with all the info i could read, i turned of my PC as usual.
At night, when i was again on PC and opened the 5 different tabs in my browser simultaneously to sign in my accounts, all the 5 refused to get accessed and told me that i forgot *My Passwords*. And that was a moment when a nightmare started i could never think of again.
Taken by shock i tried to access them again anddd again for the third last time using all the possible ways but all went in vain.
Then i opened my secret id which i created only a month back as an Online Backup + Rescue account and to my extreme shock it was unaccessible too.
By the time when i realized that my all online accounts are hacked, it was a real panic and a horrible situation for me.

This was the loss:
1. MSN: shahpar_a@hotmail.com
[which was the most beloved to me as it was the first entry of mine in the online world and the name it bears shows the personal love of mine for air force & fighter jets.]
2. Yahoo: beyond_imagination20@yahoo.com
3. Gmail: beyond.imagination20@gmail.com
[including associated facebook, twitter, orkut & blogger accounts.]
4. Yahoo: abeergali@yahoo.com
[which was the newly created id for the online backup of all my academic work to that date, my snaps including family and friends, my job letters and CV, rescue to the rest of the accounts in the case of any mishap and it was the id i provided in my professional contacts as well. And above all it was THE id no one aware of EXCEPT ME.]


It was really hard to believe and to cop with what had happened but then i somehow controlled the panic in me and started reporting the respective companies.
For all that process Gmail was proved to be the most convenient to get my id back. Within few hours i was able to access my gmail only by filling a simple form based on truth and nothing but the truth, its associated accounts, took the necessary precautions for any further loss and was a bit relieved. What i found was that my inboxes of facebook and gmail were empty. Twitter was safe, my blog was safe, orkut was safe.

The rest msn and yahoo id's; it was the hell to even try to get them back. Specially msn, proved to be the most annoying as after a whole lot of searching i found a rescue - form to fill and on the basis of it after almost two months my id was given back to me and as expected all empty!

My all data containing yahoo id was back after the couple of days on my *own* struggle as i happened to remind my first set secret Q/A to it, because yahoo by far do not provide you with any assistance by which you can claim your account back in the case your ids hacked with all the settings and info you did changed at all [google & msn does] and the only way to re-access it is to remembering the first ever account recovery settings you made. Any how i got it with everything empty and from the recovery settings to the basic info, everything was changed into the what-so-ever name + a recovery strange gmail id.
All my life data was lost and it was the nightmare i can never forget.

One more yahoo id that i had never recovered and so is forgotten.


I was in a great trauma and didn't knew what to do. By far in every way it was a huge loss and considering my academics, everything so important to me was vanished.
But my hackers didn't consider it enough and a few days later i received this mail on my recovered ids:

from: Abeer Ali
beyond_imagination20@yahoo.com
to: abeergali@yahoo.com
beyond.imagination20@gmail.com
date: Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM

informing you that we have taken all your pics and data and using it everywhere , even we will for nude sites !!!
so its better to give us passwords of your abeergali@yahoo.com and beyond.imagination20@gmail.com.
we are not again hacking it just to show you that we can take this ids . And the pics will be send to dirty sites if you wont give us passwords and secret answers of above ids by tomorrow .

It was a real goose-bump and that was the time i involved my elders into the matter, contacted the related personnels and even surf the proper way to report a cyber crime, but all went in vain. And in the end there was nothing more we can do except to remain quiet and forget whatever happened calmly. So do i.

Months later, i received 2 friend requests on my facebook and orkut, from the ditto copy of my current to that date profiles bearing the id abeerghazanfarali@gmail.com and the user names of Abeer Ali and Calm Cool respectively having the same display pics i was using those days. [my own pic :(]
I do immediately reported those fake profiles but meanwhile facebook could take any action, that fb fake added some of my friends as well. And thank God they were alerted on time. That fb fake having my pic and bearing my full name email id doesn't exist any more but the orkut fake still exists!

I deleted permanently my recovered ids and was able to restore only a bit of my lost academics related stuff. Rest is forgotten long long ago.


Today, when i think back nothing bothers me much except the threat i received and still don't know what possible could be happened to my details and snaps. I, placing a big stone on my heart, did searched *myself* in the youtube and googled in the light of the threat mail and found nothing. And have faith in my Lord, as He is here to protect me no matter what.

I still don't believe that it was the outcome of my search for hacking ways as hundreds of people around globe google it, or may be may be my click to any unknown link resulted this but the way i was hacked is truly horrible.

12 comments:

eddie said...

wow thats quite a tale. its sickening . . . the feeling of what trauma you went through. i hope ppl become more responsible in using internet. its patetic to see how low some humans can go just for the fun of it. may God give them the sense to realize what they r doing. amen

Calm Cool said...

amen :(

and there should be a proper way to report a cyber crime; online. its a NEED now!

Sami Mughal said...

woa! freaky!

BCLilly4life said...

Hey I choose you for an award!

http://bclilly4life.blogspot.com/2011/01/neon-green-blathering-have-you-been.html

(:

BeMistified said...

Found your blog from BCLilly4life. That is a horrible story and I am so sorry that it happened. There does need to be better ways to report cyber crimes for sure! Ugh again sorry :(

Daanish said...

quite a post.

lizzie said...

happened with me too!! God its such a headache when it happens! I had to start everything new cuz of this crap. And yahoo sucks for this thing

Calm Cool said...

@ BCLilly
ah! thanks for the award :)

@ BeMistified
welcome here! keep visiting!

BCLilly4life said...

Yeah! and wow Very scary story btw...I would be freaked out if this happened to me. Sorry you had to go through it :/ Well have a great day!!
XOXO
BCLilly4life

Spherical square said...

Some shock that must have been!
Recently, I have seen the hacking of the president's website being mentioned a number of times. The alleged culprits are facing a trial, so there might be something in the nature of cyber crime laws here.

The Only Normal Person Here. said...

I am extremely sorry to hear that. And I must say you come out as a very strong person.

Saqib Arain said...

Lol, don't expect much from cyber crime people, apparently, their actions are well just cyber, won't do much good to hackers.

Apart from that, i wonder how you ended up losing 5 accounts, unless you compose emails from one account to the other, that would be epic!! :D